[This page has been transferred from the previous website mostly as-is. The information is still relevant.]
To restore your own backup files, you generally need to be on the same machine used to originally backup the files. The TSM (IBM Tivoli Storage Manager) client software also needs to be installed. The instructions below are based on the TSM v.5.2 client software, though it will probably be similar for all v.5.x and later versions.
- Login to the original machine containing the TSM client software and enter the following command:
Once the TSM GUI appears, click on the "Restore files and directories to your system" button.
You should now see the Restore window. If you're trying to recover an old version of a file or a file that's been deleted for more than 1 day, go to the View menu and enable the "Display active/inactive files" option. This is because the default display shows only active files (the most recent version of each file) rather than all file versions currently on tape.
- Select files or directories to restore from tape. Your files are most likely in the "File Level" volume (which appears to be the root directory). Some hints:
Click on the + box to view a directory's subdirectories (if present).
Click on a volume or directory icon to view files within that specific volume or directory.
Check the left column box to restore a specific file or directory (and its contents).
Note that file versions with green diamonds next to their names are inactive (old) versions. The most recent version of each file has no diamond next to its name.
- Click on the Estimate button if you want to see how much disk space is required to restore the selected file(s).
- When you've completed your selections, click on the Restore button.
- When the Restore Destination window appears, select the destination option you prefer. Make sure the destination location has enough disk space available to accommodate the selected files, then click on the Restore button.
- The Task List window will indicate the progress of your request. If the files are in the ITSM disk cache, the restore process should begin and end quickly. If the files have already been flushed from cache, you will have to wait for ITSM to mount the appropriate tape(s) and restore the files.
- Once the restore is complete, you can look at and close the various status boxes that show up. This will eventually return you to the main TSM window, where you can go to the File menu and exit.