Access to SLAC
All visitors must have a valid photo ID to enter the Laboratory. The SLAC Main Gate is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (more about visiting SLAC).
To reach the Stanford Guest House, turn left after the guard gate and go to the first building on the left side of the road. Parking is available for registered guests.
SLAC also has an on-site cafeteria. To learn more about the hours and menus, please go to cafeteria's website.
To reach the ROB(Building 48), turn right after the guard gate. Parking is available in a visitor lot immediately to the right of the gate. The ROB on the opposite side of the street, directly across from the parking lot.
For printing files during the workshop, the general instruction for printing from the wireless network can be found at http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/service/printing/ with separate instructions for UNIX and Windows. The closest B/W printer is just opposite the backdoor of Kavli Auditorium on the ground floor room 114A, the the queue name KI1BW. A pair of printers are located on the 2nd floor of Kavli building in the middle cubicle area on the opposite end wrt the auditorium. The printer queue names are KI2BW and KI2CO for B/W and color printing respectively.
Accommodations and Local Shuttle Services
Stanford Guest House (on SLAC campus)
This comfortable and convenient housing structure is located on SLAC's campus and is just a quick walk away to the workshop. Guests will have access to in-room, high-speed Internet access, a fitness center, a 24-hour reception desk, laundry facilities, free parking, complimentary tea and coffee, and a 24-hour gift shop.
The Stanford Guest House offers single as well as shared rooms, but all rooms have their own bathroom. All rooms are non-smoking only. Twenty rooms have been reserved at $83/night. Please book early (before April 24th) using the Stanford Guest House online-reservation form and be sure to mention the DPLTA workshop.
Note: The Marguerite Shuttle does not provide service to these hotels.
The Marguerite is Stanford University's complimentary public shuttle system which traverses the campus Monday through Friday all year (except University holidays). The SLAC line operates between SLAC (with a stop at the entrance to the Guest House) and the Stanford campus, and is available from 7:48 a.m. to 8:28 p.m., approximately every 20 minutes.
The complimentary Stanford Guest House shuttle is also available evenings and weekends when the Marguerite is not.
The average temperatures in the Stanford area in May are 71/57 ºF with little chance of rain. A light jacket is suggested if visiting the coastline or San Francisco. "California casual" is appropriate for daytime and most evening outings and is acceptable for all conference activities. [More weather information]
Local Restaurant Guides
- RestaurantRow.com: List of Menlo Park restaurants (Note: some restaurants are outside of the Menlo Park/Palo Alto area)
- Waiters on Wheels: Palo Alto area (This is great if you don't have a car.)
- Cantor Center for Visual Arts (Stanford University)
- The Exploratoruim (San Francisco)
- Golden Gate Park (San Francisco)
- Legion of Honor (San Francisco)
- San Jose Museum of Art (San Jose)
- The Tech Museum of Innovation (San Jose)
- The Santa Cruz Surfing Museum (Santa Cruz)
- Hakone Japanese Tea Garden (San Jose)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium (Monterey)
- Coyote Point Museum (San Mateo)
- San Francisco Opera (limited summer program)
- San Francisco Symphony
- Villa Montalvo Arts Center - outdoor concerts (Saratoga)
- Bay Area Hiker: Peninsula and South Bay Hikes (Menlo Park / Palo Alto)
- County of San Mateo Park Trails (Menlo Park area)
Extended Day Trips